Friday 28 September 2012

Soft & Fluffy Thermomix Bread (Tangzhong method)

I first came across the Tangzhong method of making bread from Christine's Recipes. The first time I read about it, I thought it sounded intimidating, however, I finally plucked up the courage to try it last night, and it was actually pretty easy in the Thermomix. The Bush Gourmand has adapted Christine's recipe for use in the thermomix, so I used her method as a guide, with a slight adaptation of Christine's recipe.

All the ingredients I used was cold from the fridge as I find that the kneading in the Thermomix warms the dough quite abit.

Tangzhong

INGREDIENTS (FOR TANGZHONG)

 50g bread flour
125g milk
125g water

METHOD (FOR TANGZHONG)

  1. Place all ingredients in the Thermomix and cook at 70°C, speed 2, 10-15 minutes until the mixture becomes a paste. Temperature for the paste should be about 65°C when it is done.
  2. Cover the surface with cling wrap (the cling wrap should touch the surface) and store in the fridge. I used mine immediately after it had cooled to room temperature.

Bread Dough

INGREDIENTS (FOR BREAD)

  • 350gm bread flour
  • 55gm caster sugar
  • 2gm salt
  • 56gm egg (I beat 2 small eggs and poured out what I needed. Keep the rest for glazing.)
  • 7gm non-dairy creamer powder
  • 125g milk
  • 120gm tangzhong
  • 6gm instant yeast
  • 30gm salted butter

METHOD (FOR BREAD)

  1. Place milk, egg, tangzhong, sugar, salt and milk powder at the bottom of TM bowl. Add the flour on top of the liquids, then the yeast on top of the flour.
  2. Press the turbo 2-3 times to mix the ingredients together.
  3. Knead for 10 minutes on the knead setting.
  4. Add the butter and knread another 5-10 minutes on the knead setting until the dough is elastic.
  5. Shape into a ball and place into a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel and allow to proof for about 30 minutes until doubled in size.
  6. Once risen, turn the dough out on to a lightly greased silicone mat and punch down to release the air. Proceed to shape the dough into rolls. I did some plain and some with sambal prawn filling.
  7. Set the shaped dough aside for another 40 minutes to rise. 
  8. Before baking, glaze with the leftover egg or milk.
  9. Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes (I baked rolls, if you do a loaf baking time will be longer.

8 comments:

  1. Hi there..thanks for your blog.. If I make more tang zhong.. can I use it after fridge for few days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...you can store the excess in the fridge for 2-3 days. Once the tangzhong changes colour to greyish colour then it is best to discard and make a new batch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Thks for your post. Do you use the mc cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, my dough turned out to be very sticky and difficult to work with. Help pls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dough made by this method tends to be more moist. You can add slightly more flour if it is really too sticky but not too much as it would make the bread dry. I normally grease a bowl and my hand, then remove the dough from the bowl and put it into the greased bowl. Once it is all in, shape it into a ball by folding the edges under then just leave it in the bowl to proof. It will be more managable after proofing. Grease or flour your worksurface to prevent sticking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May I know whc type of milk u using ? Fresh milk or full cream milk ?
    Thanks .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm getting TM5 on Tuesday and this wok be my first solo recipe
    Thankyou Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont use the MC cover when mixing as I dont have a problem with stuff flying out.

    I use fresh full cream milk, but low fat would work too. UHT or fresh is fine.

    ReplyDelete